Isn't she beautiful?
As I was thinking of Grandma the other day, another sweet memory came back to me. On my 25th birthday, Grandma cut roses and brought them to me for my birthday, on the actual day of. She made time to bring them to me at school; meeting my mom along the way, so that my mom could bring her out to my school. Grandma was so sweet; she wanted to get in and out as quickly and quietly as possible, so that my work/day was not interrupted. She is always asking about our house and wants to come up and see it, when it's a nice day and we aren't busy. Grandma tells us often that she wishes she could have us down for dinner (chicken and dumplings, I think), but how she just isn't up to it like she used to be. Grandma will call and always makes time to visit us or with us about the goings on in our life. When Trav got his new job a few months ago, Grandma made time to write and mail him a card with her love and support. It mean the world to both of us and made us feel so special and loved.
I want to share some of the things that I wrote a few months back for Grandma's 90th birthday celebration. My sister made a book with lots of pictures and letters/memories from everyone in the family. It is a treasure for all of us. Thanks, Tina, for all your hard work!
I remember as a pre-teen/teen spending the night with friends at Grandma's. One time in particular, Grandma took my friend and I to the midnight showing of "The Secret Garden" at the Old Villa Theater. She got us lots of popcorn, drinks, & treats. I was amazed that she would stay up SO LATE to go to the movies with us, especially when Grandpa was already home asleep. In fact, Grandma seemed to be as excited and enjoy it as much as we did. On another different occasion, minutes after arriving at Grandma's, we were talking and she came over and patted me on the chest and said, "My how you've blossomed". I was mortified because one of my friends was standing right there. A minute later, we all laughed it off. I am sure Grandma was just trying to let me know, that she knew I was growing up. With these sleepovers, Grandma ALWAYS made my favorite meal: roast chicken, dumplings and gravy. On another occasion, Max was there eating, too. He was headed to a hockey game or somewhere. We were laughing and being EXTREMELY silly. Grandma had to keep getting after us, so that Max would eat and not be late. Another time, she taught a friend and I how to make rueladen, one of my other very favorite things. Grandma had also come to mom's house a time or two, to teach all of us how to make this special meal. It was lots of fun to be together as a family and learn from Grandma!
I remember one Christmas spent at Mom and Dad's house. Some of us were down stairs watching "The Christmas Story". When the kid stuck his tongue to the pole, Grandma laughed like I have never heard. She even snorted; I guess that's where I get it from. Because Grandma laughed so hard and so long, it made the rest of us laugh hysterically.
I remember Grandma and Grandpa coming to watch us lots of times when mom and dad were gone on vacation. Grandma would always stick up for me when I wanted to go to my friend's house two doors down and grandpa thought it was too dark. Her and grandpa would usually end up speaking in German, so we wouldn't know what her and grandpa were discussing/arguing!
Grandma always had soda and things in the house for everyone to eat when they stopped by for a visit. I remember the Chocolate advent calendars at Christmas...they were always one of my favorite parts of the Holiday; I still love them! I remember Grandma always having fruit salad, Fernwood mints, and drinks waiting for us after a LONG, LATE night of caroling. Even now, she waits for us, looking as surprised and excited to see us as the very first time we came.
I remember the old house in Holliday; the race car track, Easter Egg hunts inside the house, Christmas programs in the basement by the tree, eating warm rice pudding, and coloring over grandma's plastic leaves with the crayons in the cream box to make rubbings. I remember fancy dinners with name place cards for seating, and lots of German talking and laughter. Grandma's house was the place to be and she was ALWAYS an amazing hostess. I remember seeing her and grandpa always standing in the driveway or at the window to wave goodbye to us as we left their house. It was always the last thing we saw as we headed down the street.
I love you grandma!
And this is the letter I wrote to Grandma....
Dear Grandma,
Happy Birthday! You are an amazing person and have been such a great example to me. You have shown me how to be a wife and mother. You have been an example of a virtuous woman to me. I learned about charity, service, and Christ-like love as you cared for Grandpa. From you & grandpa (and later mom & dad), I learned about the importance of traditions and carrying them on. I learned about the importance of family from you; by watching you writing letters, making phone calls, & gathering everyone together. You have always made a special effort to say hello, hug us, come see us, be at important events/special things, or say goodbye. I always feel important, loved, and noticed. With all the parties and fun gatherings at your house, you taught me how to be a hostess "with the most-est". From you, I learned how to laugh, even at myself!
Grandma, I love you and want to follow your example of how to be a virtuous woman, wife, and mother. I am proud to be your granddaughter. I love you! Thanks for being "YOU" and blessing my life as my grandma. I treasure all of the memories we have made together so far and look forward to making even more memories in the future.
I love you! I love you! I love you!
Love,
Jacqueline




0 comments:
Post a Comment